SMS - Quality Assurance
A Safety Management Systems (SMS) Certificate Course
See Course Schedule
Is your Safety Management System really ready for a regulator audit? Having an SMS in place is not enough; the system has to actually work. It has to provide processes for people to proactively report hazards and to cultivate a safety culture that mitigates those hazards and regularly examines its policies, procedures and processes to continuously improve safety and compliance in the workplace. The Southern California Safety Institute three day SMS – Quality Assurance course will show you how to examine all of the SMS elements to verify that they meet the regulatory requirements and more importantly, to ensure that they are effectively reducing risk in your operation. This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct a complete audit of an SMS, whether it’s an SMS internal to your company or you are auditing an SMS in another organization. The course is built around an automated SMS Auditing tool with over 400 key questions for each of the SMS elements. The SMS auditing tool includes a scoring matrix that allows users to quickly detect potential gaps so that they can focus their corrective actions where they will make the greatest impact on their operation. The SMS – Quality Assurance course is designed to help organizations prepare for external SMS audits and improve the overall effectiveness of their SMS, optimizing the benefits and ROI to your company.
How You Will Benefit
- You will learn the key elements of an effective SMS and what to look for when assessing an SMS
- You will be introduced to modern “risk-based” approaches to SMS Assessment
- You will gain a comprehensive understanding of what should be expected with a mature, robust Safety Management System
- You will learn basic interviewing skills aimed at gathering critical information in a non-threatening way
- You will be able to develop and implement a robust SMS assessment process based on your organization and corporate safety culture and where you are on the SMS journey
- You will receive a copy of the SCSI industry-leading SMS Assessment tool with detailed instructions and practice exercises
Understanding the Elements and Sub-Elements of an effective SMS
Data gathering for SMS Assessment
Key Indicators of an effective SMS
The SCSI SMS Assessment Tool
The SMS – Quality Assurance course consists of 3 days (24 hours) of classroom instruction. Because the course includes the use of the SCSI SMS Assessment tool during the course, it is best if participants bring a laptop computer to use during this course. Participants will receive a PDF of the presentation, additional reference material, an electronic copy of the SCSI Assessment tool and Certificate of Completion. Classes begin at 0800 and end at noon on the last day.
SCSI will also arrange for delivery of this course under contract at a location and duration of your choice.